Swallowing Mouthwash: What You Need To Know About the Risks and Side Effects

If you’re like many people, you probably think of mouthwash as harmless and even beneficial. But what happens if you accidentally swallow it? Can it cause harm? The answer is yes—swallowing mouthwash can have serious side effects, both short-term and long-term. In this blog post, we’ll explore the risks associated with swallowing mouthwash and the side effects that may occur.

What is mouthwash?

Mouthwash, also known as oral rinse, is a liquid product used to clean the mouth and freshen breath. Most mouthwashes contain antiseptic ingredients that kill bacteria in the mouth, helping to prevent gum disease and bad breath. Some mouthwashes also contain fluoride, which can help to protect against tooth decay.

The dangers of swallowing mouthwash

Mouthwash is a common household product that many people use daily. However, what many people don’t realize is that What happens if you swallow mouthwash? Here are some of the risks and side effects associated with swallowing mouthwash:

1. Mouthwashes contain chemicals that can be toxic if ingested. These chemicals can include ethanol, methanol, chlorine, and fluoride.

2. Swallowing mouthwash can lead to inflammation of the esophagus and stomach lining.

3. Some mouthwashes also contain alcohol which can cause vomiting and diarrhea if swallowed in large quantities.

4. Mouthwashes should always be used as directed and should never be swallowed. If you accidentally swallow mouthwash, seek medical attention immediately.

Side effects of swallowing mouthwash

First and foremost, it’s important to understand that mouthwashes are not meant to be swallowed. In general, they contain ingredients that can be harmful if ingested in large quantities. Some of the most common side effects of swallowing mouthwash include:

1. Intestinal irritation: Mouthwashes contain various chemicals that can cause irritation and inflammation of the intestinal lining. This can lead to abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.

2. Kidney damage: Some of the ingredients in mouthwashes can also damage the kidney if swallowed in large amounts. This can lead to serious health complications such as renal failure.

3. Liver damage: Mouthwashes may also contain chemicals that can damage the liver if swallowed in large quantities. This can lead to serious health complications such as liver failure.

The dangers of consuming dairy after a tooth extraction

Why no dairy after tooth extraction? Consuming dairy after a tooth extraction can have dangerous consequences. The dairy products can cause the formation of a bacterial film on the extraction site, which can lead to infection. Additionally, the dairy products can interfere with the healing process and cause excessive bleeding. Finally, consuming dairy after a tooth extraction can also lead to pain and discomfort.


In conclusion, swallowing mouthwash is not recommended and should be avoided at all costs. The risks associated with ingesting mouthwash can include serious medical conditions and long-term side effects which could have a severe impact on your health. If you are ever in doubt about consuming any type of product, it’s best to consult a healthcare professional for advice or seek out an alternative solution for freshening your breath like brushing your teeth or using sugar-free gum instead.


Leave a Comment